A Colorado woman who believes she was exposed to asbestos both at work and at home during renovation projects is suing dozens of companies after she contracted mesothelioma, a serious form of cancer for which the only known cause is the inhalation of asbestos fibers.
According to an article in the Madison County Record, the suit was filed in an Illinois court earlier this week on behalf of Joann Dennett, who claims she was employed from 1958 to 2008 in various positions at various locations throughout the United States, including Illinois.
Companies included in Dennettâ€™s suit include Bondex International, CBS, Chrysler, Federal-Mogul Asbestos Personal Trust, Ford Motor Company, General Electric, General Motors, Goodyear, Honeywell International, Ingersoll-Rand, International Paper, John Crane, MetLife, Monsanto, Pfizer, Philips Electronics and Trane US.
Dennett was diagnosed with mesothelioma approximately one year ago and is currently undergoing treatment for the disease.
“The plaintiff’s exposure and inhalation, ingestion or absorption of the asbestos fibers was completely foreseeable and could or should have been anticipated by the defendants,” the complaint states.
Typical of asbestos suits, Dennettâ€™s claim alleges that â€œthe defendants included asbestos in their products even when adequate substitutes were available and failed to provide any or adequate instructions concerning the safe methods of working with and around asbestos.â€
It also claims that â€œthe defendants failed to require and advise employees of hygiene practices designed to reduce or prevent carrying asbestos fibers home.â€