University of California San Francisco Medical Center
The University of California San Francisco Medical Center operates several patient and caregiver support programs much like any modern comprehensive medical facility. UCSF however, has come up with a novel program unlike any in the country.
Art for Recovery was first conceived in 1988 as a way for patients of life threatening illnesses such as cancer and AIDS to express their emotional journey through art. Using music, poetry, and art patients are encouraged to engage in the healing process through their own creativity.
Using students, medical personnel, and members of the regional art community, the program helps patients process the illness through all varieties at artistic mediums. The Art for Recovery program also encourages family and caregivers to become involved, based on the premise that the creative healing process is best shared with as many as possible.
From Marin County/Highway 101
- From the Golden Gate Bridge, take the Downtown exit to Lombard Street.
- Turn Right on Divisadero Street and continue straight towards UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion.
From the East Bay and Oakland Airport/I-80
- After crossing the Bay Bridge, continue in the second lane from the right.
- Use Exit to the right on 101 NORTH/Golden Gate Bridge
- Get in the left lane and exit on Octavia Blvd/Fell Street.
- After 4 blocks, turn Left on Fell Street.
- After 1 mile, turn right on Divisadero Street
- Continue forward to UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion.
From the San Francisco Airport and South Bay/Highway 101 I-280
- Approaching San Francisco, continue in the left lane and continue following signs for 101/North/Golden Gate Bridge
- Use exit to the left on 101 North/Golden Gate Bridge
- Get in the left lane and exit on Octavia Blvd/Fell Street
- After 4 blocks, turn left on Fell Street, Continuing straight 1 mile
- Turn Right on Divisadero St. and continue to UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion.
One of the most important things for anybody dealing with a difficult battle with cancer is the presence of family and friends. Unfortunately this can be difficult when patients must travel to get the best care available for their specific condition. To this end the UCSF Medical Center has provided a listing of area hotels and other accommodations. Some are listed below. Others as well as specific rates can be located by contacting the patient relations office of the UCSF Medical Center.
Stanyan Park Hotel
750 Stanyan Street,
San Francisco, CA 94117
The Residence Inn by Marriott Oyster Point Waterfront
1350 Veterans Blvd.,
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Red Victorian Bed & Breakfast
1665 Haight Street,
San Francisco, CA 94117
- Please contact these hotels for specific UCSF discount rates and availability.
Last modified: December 24, 2010.